Tuesday Trend: Ball Skirts
After searching high & low for something to wear to my company Christmas party, I finally stumbled upon the Ball Skirt. Long a staple in the aristocratic collections of Carolina Herrera and Oscar de la Renta, this bold, classic style needs no longer be reserved for Cinderella. The ball skirt has been gaining momentum in fashion circles internationally, and it's only a matter of time before it hits the mainstream.
- for a formal, elegant look: wear with a simple, fitted sweater in a neutral color and statement accessories
- for a classic look: wear with a white or blue collared oxford shirt and minimal jewellery
- for a flirty, whimsical look: choose a ball skirt in a bright color, feminine texture, or floral print and pair with a tank or tee that pulls color from the skirt
- for an edgy look: choose a print with sass, pair with a band tee and/or cropped moto jacket, and choose a non-traditional shoe
1. 1959 Vogue Patterns. 2. Ann Street Studio Carolina Herrera ball skirt. 3. FIT Digital Image Library FIT Library Special Collections - Bergdorf Goodman, Pierre Balmain. 4. The Telegraph Carolina Herrera wearing her own design. 5. Carolina Herrera ball skirt. 6. Oscar de la Renta Spring 2012 campaign. 7. Unknown. 8. ELLE Magazine, March 2013. Carolina Herrera ball skirt. 9. Christian Dior by Raf Simons Pre-Fall 2013. 10. Chado Ralph Rucci Spring 2013. 11. Unknown. 12. Style.com Alice + Olivia Fall 2013. 13. Tulip Louise Ann Taylor Ball Skirt 14. Style.com Holly Fulton Fall 2013. 15. Bergdorf Goodman Naeem Khan Resort 2014.